The best part of my 4-day Labor Day weekend, besides not having to work, was catching up on all my September 2010 fashion magazines. Whew, I swear each year those issues get bigger and heavier! (I still have the September issue of Harper's Bazaar to get through, and I've already received the October issue of Lucky!!!) Well, what's bad for me is good for you. I've complied a list of fall fashion trends to look out for and how to achieve them on the cheap. You can achieve these looks by shopping at the following eRetailers: Old Navy; Fashion Bug; Payless Shoe Source; and Target. Are you excited yet? I know I am. Shall we begin?
5 Fall Fashion Trends
1. Mad Men Era Retro/feminine shapes: Think nipped in waists, full skirts, and defined shoulders. It's Dior's New Look for the 2010s, like Target's take on it with this nifty shirt dress. It comes in red and black, and is less than $40.
2. Menswear : This trend has been hanging tough for the past couple of seasons. Think feminizing Mad Men's anti-hero Don Draper's look--pointed toe oxfords; wide length trousers; form fitting pants suits; and over sized watches. Your fashion icons should be up and coming crooner Janelle Monae and Katherine Hepburn.
(Piece together these two matching separates from Old Navy for an inexpensive suit. The darting on the blazer will give you the feminine look you want in your menswear.)
3. Animal prints: Mainly leopard in its traditional brown/camel colored family. If you're feeling daring, try a neon leopard print like this wallet from Fashion Bug.
4. Gray: To hell with the washed out, heathered looks of your gym sweats. These grays are dark enough to replace your black staples, but bright enough to give your wardrobe a lift. Soft pale grays will give your white blouses a break, and allow your jewel tone accessories to pop! (Check out Target's Dolce Vita studded oxford in gray, and those shoes are three trends in one! Me likey!)
5. Studs/ornamentation: Everything from shirts to purses seem to have a hint of metal ornamentation. However, you will not be channeling Sid & Nancy's punk rock days. These studs a flatter and faceted.
6. Chunky knits: Nothing screams fall like wrapping yourself in a big warm knit sweater. This year, they will be coming in all shapes and sizes. Replace your trusty blazers and suit jackets with hip length chunky cardigan for a twist on your career wear. Also think about rocking a sweater dress with your knee-high boots and a sexy waist-cinching belt.